There’s nothing quite as comforting as a crumble, and as Autumn draws nearer, it’s the perfect time to indulge. They’re very easy to make and even taste beautiful if eaten cold the following morning. Basically the crumble is the only part you need a recipe for as the rest is very basic.
60z self raising flour
½ tsp salt
2oz demerera sugar
spice (cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, mixed spice etc) – optional
1. Rub the butter into the flour, oats and salt
2. Add the sugar and spice (if using). When combined you should have rough chunks (not too big, not too small).
3. Peel and chop the fruit (if necessary) and place in a greased baking dish, then sprinkle over 2-3 tbsp of sugar and 1-2 tsp of spice (optional)
4. Cover with the crumble topping (any left over, place in an airtight container and it keeps in the fridge for a few days) and bake in the overn at gas mark 5 for 30-35 mins until the topping is crunchy and golden.
5. Leave to rest for 5-10 mins then serve with ice cream or custard.